Friday, June 14, 2013

5 Questions with Camo

My introduction to the wonderful world of Camo was on a sneaky after work mid-week jaunt to Newtown.  It was a bit of a curious afternoon given that it was only around 2pm and Kings Street wasn't particularly busy, which for the 2095 and her photography it was a blessing. 

Nothing more irritating than having a car block a wall, thus requiring manoeuvring of both oneself and the camera to get a half-decent albeit on an angle shot. 

Being completely oblivious to passers-by and wholly focussed on the "hunt", I spied the most adorable stencil all by its lonesome and audibly sighed "oh how GORGEOUS!"


About 2 minutes later using the standard whip-lash of eyes and neck method, the 2095 then spied another little piece across the road, ran like woman possessed to get that car-free no need to have weird angle shot.


Obligatory FB friend request sent/accepted, the 2095'er kept a close eye on photographs by the artist of new pieces on walls: fortunately having trapsed around the Inner West for many many MANY hours there are certain walls you recognise instantly mainly through colour or a cap...so from this culmination of photography and love of the stencils we now arrive at "5 Questions with Camo".

When was Camo born and how did the name come in to being

Camo was born many years ago when I was growing up.  The name is actually a nickname I used to get called: I like the camouflage connection with most of my outings needing to be done "unseen".

Amazing works appearing on corners, walls and at times in not so highly-visible locations.  Is there a methodology as to where and when your works are placed


Sometimes, like the work I did on branch of a bank in Rosebery.  I mainly look for a nice wall and somewhere I think the image may look good. I'm not too concerned with "high profile" places.  I like the idea of placing works in out of the way locations so a new audience will seem them and maybe the "buff squad" won't find them as quickly. 

From start to finish, can you outline exactly how you create these incredible pieces and what has been your largest or most difficult installation to date

I usually have a rough idea in my head of what sort of image I wand to do.  I spend time trawling through photos (99% of my stencils are done from a photograph) looking for something that I can use.  I then print the image and begin the cutting process.


Once cut I will do test sprays, sometimes only one but usually 2-3 to work out the images and make any changes needed. 

The most difficult installation was the one that only half happened due to being busted by the cops.


Other than that, I usually find the more difficult ones are when I use more than one stencil to create an image, purely because of time taken and that I do all my works alone: so no lookout.

The triggers for your work: are they from something that has occurred in your personal world whether it be family, political issues, stupid acts by stupid people

I guess most of my works some from thinking that the world is moving too fast, being controlled by too few in a profit driven world.  We need to take a deep breath.

The works I do with children playing, tipping paint from buckets, sling shots etc come from a belief that kids grow up too quickly and need to deal with too many pressures too soon in life.  Surely a slingshot, paint bomb and blank wall is more fun than the latest electronic product.



Other works come from the same feeling but with a tinge of anger and frustration: the rioters, gas mask people, the stencils I did of asylum seekers (not sure how many people caught on to that one)


Sometimes I do think people of the world need to get angry, stand up and react to what is happening.  I love seeing when a country's citizens say enough is enough, like in Turkey & Syria last year.

Art has traditionally been viewed as a form of expression: do you see yourself as an artist, street-artist or someone who has somehow just got it "right"

I guess I see myself as a street-artist.  But then I just got made feature artist in "Artfido" so I have no idea anymore..... 

**********

My thanks to Camo for spending some time in answering the 2095 chick's questions and simply being one of those that says "enough is enough" albeit by stencil

No comments:

Post a Comment