Wednesday, July 3, 2013

5 Questions with Apeseven

Being a Northern Beaches chick where the air is clean and there is always a nice place to walk, and not long after recently closing her small local business, the 2095'er elected to have a meander one morning around the "backstreets"of her locale to see if there could be the slightest chance of spotting streetart to capture on her then new Canon SX20.



By that she means, if you are on the hunt for street art in the 2095 region you have to cast your net veerrrrry wide and have much patience.

Luck was in!


all the while causing a little bit of attraction by standing in the middle of the cul de sac with her then teeny camera in an attempt to get a car-free shot.

It was with a sense of relief that at least there was something to be found that the 2095'er trotted on her way in search for more only to be somewhat disappointed, thus homeward bound she went.

A little later contact was made between the artist and the 2095'er where she was invited to a mini/junior Secret Wars type of an event and she jumped at the chance with an unreserved 'yes'.  

Sadly however it was not to be as in flew enza: whilst on the public transport the 2095 fell asleep with aches and pains, crawled home to bed and felt exceptionally sorry for herself at missing out on a) meeting said artist and b) seeing the tournament.

Fast forward to an Inner West jaunt and loving new discoveries, especially when it involved a little bit of self-talk (internally mind you) "ah ha!  love this!...Mister Apeseven sticker...love love love"


The 2095 was also aware of a door for a surf shop in her neighbourhood was adorned with this artist's work but waiting for a time when there was no traffic (eg: pushbikes right in front of it...if you thought cars were annoying, then pushbikes even more so cause you can't actually walk up and move them as the owners are usually right there!) proved almost impossible so a close up it was.


When and how did the world of Apeseven begin, including the tag name

It started around 2002 while backpacking/camping around Europe mainly.  I was so blown away with the calibre of graffiti and street-art there I knew instantly that I wanted it to be part of my life.

Your style is incredibly distinctive.  Do you like to stick with the familiar, or thrive when extending yourself in to unchartered territories

The fact that I am not a commercial artist means I get to explore, grow and evolve my works in ways that are challenging to me.


Having said that, a few group shows are coming up and making me go in directions away from pop-surreal.

Is there a relief of sorts when it comes to street: free style, no rules, no boundaries or are commissions more of a comfort zone with the rigid timetables and requirements from thems who pay money

I find street and gallery work both enjoyable.  


I do not do commissions, I paint what I want to pain and so far have been lucky enough that people appreciate what I do and part with their hard earned money

What has been your biggest challenge/installation to date

Biggest challenge was an animated short I made a couple of years ago...super fun but super long project at the time.  It payed off and I got great satisfaction from the process....now I just laugh at it.

Biggest installation has definitely been a wall I painted recently in Sydney: 22m x 4.5m

nb: not the piece referred to above but it would be remiss of the 2095 to not 
have at least one reference to the PM3 and this piece was ENORMOUS!

Where does the world of Apeseven see itself in say "seven" years

Doing exactly what I do now...exploring light, surfaces, ideas and showing people my journey.

**********
With a huge thank you to Apeseven for answering the 2095's questions and allowing images to be included for this little article.

To keep up with his goings on simply go here





No comments:

Post a Comment